Throughout the past week or so, social media has been swept with people sharing 5 facts about themselves. I’ve been tagged by friends to deliver nearly 5 times. So here goes!
1. My hidden talent is drawing!
I love to draw and I’m actually really good at it. When I was younger, I’d fill drawing pads with tons of portraits of famous people, baskets of apples and more. The best part of this is almost everyone in my family can draw. We always won the art contest at school. My mom and sister are exceptional painters. My siblings and I share pieces of their work in our homes. We tell the stories to all of our guests. If I had 48 hours in a day, I would blog, draw and spend time with my husband. I’m obsessed with all 3! I’d probably sit and draw pictures of every item in our house including him because it is that relaxing.
2. I’ve lived in DC, Memphis, Nashville, and Louisville.
I’m originally from Jackson, TN. At the tender age of 17, I ventured off to college in at the University of Memphis. I lived there off and on until I was 25! My last semester of college moved me to DC. The only reason I came home was to graduate and be with Mr.Sweet! I always knew he’d be my husband. Nevertheless, I loved DC and wouldn’t mind living there again. My third job out of college at Humana, where I worked as a Social Media Manager, took me to Louisville! The best part about Louisville is Derby for sure! I love all of the cities I’ve lived in and I have true tribes in each of them. Nashville is the home of my married life! I love building my life with my husband here.
3. I was a Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Intern.
- I moved to DC to intern for the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation. I also interned at the United States Capitol Hill for Congressman Steve Cohen. I was also in my last semester of college at the University of Memphis where I was taking 15 hours of classes. I was also enrolled at George Washington University for a political management certification taking 9 hours of grad level classes! I kicked butt managing my internships and over 24 hours of school! I am forever grateful for the experience! It taught me hard work and diligence go a long way in this wild ride called life! I also met two of my best friends there! They were also my bridesmaids! All of the teary stories I told them about missing Alex while we were doing long distance were always greeted with encouragement and love! I am forever grateful for them!
4. My husband is my college sweetheart.
I will never forget the day I met him. It truly was love at first sight. I could write a whole book about how I felt. We’ve been together for 8 jubilant years! We’ve truly grown up together and that’s the biggest blessing of our relationship. The best part about him is he is just as much fun as I am. I think we try to outdo each other in that department. We are both the life of the party. You guys should see us at home dancing around the house, laughing and screaming at each other! It is the sweetest love I have ever known!
5. I can sing! My whole family can sing!
My entire family can sing! Cousins included. When I was a kid, my parents would leave my four siblings and me in the car while they ran errands. We’d make use of the time by singing the latest ballads on the radio or church songs! It was so much to harmonize with them. We still do this when we all get together. It’s a real treat for our spouses and nieces and nephews! Everyone’s glad to have joined our musical production when they come to Thanksgiving or Christmas. Also, my sister is an international recording artist! Check her out! Her name is Valerie June! You can find my brother’s on stage with her singing back up sometimes while she’s out touring the world! Who would’ve thought this would be our life?!
6. BONUS ROUND: I have 10 best friends!
It is so possible you guys! And, I’ve been friends with all of them for no less than 8 years. I believe in friendship the same way I believe in true love. You have to invest in your people. Cheer for them. Claim and love the heck out of them. Distance shouldn’t stop it either. Only two of them live in Nashville with me and even we don’t see each other every day! I love these girls with all of my heart. Shari, Jessica, Lauren Brittany, Erica, Joya, Amilca, Shemeka, Caray, and Vania you guys are my everything!